Top 5 EV Code Signing Certificate & It’s Providers
Now, EV (Extended Validation) Code Signing Certificate offers same benefits as a regular Code Signing Certificate, but it goes one step ahead like EV SSL/TLS Certificate to provide additional visible trust indicators such as displaying name & address of the organization and mandatory time stamping.
How Extended Validation Code Signing Certificate Works?
The most significant difference between the regular code signing certificate and EV Code Signing Certificate is how the private key is stored. As without private key it is not possible to sign software and if the private key is lost or falls into the wrong hands it can be used to sign malicious software which can tarnish the organization reputation, so the security of storing private key for EV Code Signing Certificate has been taken to another level. An external hardware token is used to store private key due to which unauthorized access and signing of software or any executable file are prevented.
Signing the Code
Verifying the Code
Why is EV Code Signing Certificate Needed?
In simple terms, the EV Code Signing Certificate is essential for passing your software or application through Microsoft SmartScreen which helps in increasing the downloads. Its security features are designed in such a way that it helps software publishers & developers to protect their applications or software from malicious attacks.
Additionally, Extended Validation Code Signing Certificates are similar to EV SSL/TLS Certificates; it goes through strict authentication & validation process as per the CA/Browser forum guidelines like software publishers have to provide asked documents for proving their identity.
Features & Benefits of EV Code Signing Certificate
- Instant trust establishment in Microsoft SmartScreen
- Improves brand reputation
- Authentication & Integrity of your Software
- Safeguards your applications from tampering
- Free timestamp which reduces maintenance cost
- Eliminates security warnings and messages
- Support for different file formats such as, .exe, .cab, .dll, .ocx, .msi, .xpi, .xap in both 32-bit & 64-bit formats
- Supported by other platforms like Adobe Air, Apple applications and its plug-ins, Java, Mozilla object files and Microsoft Silverlight applications
- Hardware meeting or equivalent to FIPS 140-2 Level 2 requirements & Pin is provided for protecting Private Key like 2-FA (Two Factor Authentication)
- The rigorous validation process of Software publisher as per the guidelines of the CA/Browser forum
- Displays organization name, address & type in the certificate
- HSM (Hardware Security Modules) Supported
Best EV Code Signing Certificate Providers
Value means – Total Live Websites using that SSL (as per builtwith.com).
Comodo EV Code Signing Certificate
Comodo one of the global innovators of cybersecurity solution offers online protection across the digital world. It’s one of the leading Certificate Authorities and global provider of Trust, Assurance & Identity services who is serving 200,000 customers throughout the globe and has issued more than 91 million certificates. It caters a wide range of SSL/TLS Certificates, with all levels of validations and one of them is EV Code Signing Certificate and as usual, you will get an opportunity to enjoy the reasonable price range.
Sectigo EV Code Signing Certificate
Sectigo, one of the globally known and largest commercial Certificate Authority, currently has more than 12 million active SSL/TLS certificates in the market, serving more than 700K businesses while committed to delivering highest standards of web security solutions. Whether you are the most prominent brands or smallest websites, you will find the right solution for yourself. Moreover, software developer or publisher also have an equal chance to protect and sign their software using the EV Code Signing Certificate offered by Sectigo.
Symantec EV Code Signing Certificate
DigiCert EV Code Signing Certificate
GlobalSign EV Code Signing Certificate
How to verify EV Code Signing Certificate Installation
Image Credit: *1,**2 – digicert.com