Top 5 EV Code Signing Certificate & It’s Providers
Before jumping into EV Code Signing Certificate, let’s understand about standard Code Signing Certificate. It is a digital signing process for executable files and scripts to offer confirmation and guarantee about the identity of the software author, which assures that code is genuine and not been altered since its signed. In other words, Code Signing Certificates are one type of digital certificates which are used to sign software, codes, scripts, executables to provide genuineness of the Author, which in turns helps in increasing users confidence and trust.
Now, EV (Extended Validation) Code Signing Certificate offers same benefits as a regular Code Signing Certificate, but it goes one step ahead like EV SSL/TLS Certificate to provide additional visible trust indicators such as displaying name & address of the organization and mandatory time stamping.
How Extended Validation Code Signing Certificate Works?
Signing the Code
Verifying the Code
Why is EV Code Signing Certificate Needed?
In simple terms, the EV Code Signing Certificate is essential for passing your software or application through Microsoft SmartScreen which helps in increasing the downloads. Its security features are designed in such a way that it helps software publishers & developers to protect their applications or software from malicious attacks.
Additionally, Extended Validation Code Signing Certificates are similar to EV SSL/TLS Certificates; it goes through strict authentication & validation process as per the CA/Browser forum guidelines like software publishers have to provide asked documents for proving their identity.
Features & Benefits of EV Code Signing Certificate
- Instant trust establishment in Microsoft SmartScreen
- Improves brand reputation
- Authentication & Integrity of your Software
- Safeguards your applications from tampering
- Free timestamp which reduces maintenance cost
- Eliminates security warnings and messages
- Support for different file formats such as, .exe, .cab, .dll, .ocx, .msi, .xpi, .xap in both 32-bit & 64-bit formats
- Supported by other platforms like Adobe Air, Apple applications and its plug-ins, Java, Mozilla object files and Microsoft Silverlight applications
- Hardware meeting or equivalent to FIPS 140-2 Level 2 requirements & Pin is provided for protecting Private Key like 2-FA (Two Factor Authentication)
- The rigorous validation process of Software publisher as per the guidelines of the CA/Browser forum
- Displays organization name, address & type in the certificate
- HSM (Hardware Security Modules) Supported
How to verify EV Code Signing Certificate Installation
Best EV Code Signing Certificate Providers
Comodo EV Code Signing Certificate
Sectigo EV Code Signing Certificate
Symantec EV Code Signing Certificate
DigiCert EV Code Signing Certificate
GlobalSign EV Code Signing Certificate
Image Credit: *1,**2 – digicert.com