How to Generate a CSR for a Wildcard SSL Certificate?
Instructions to Generate CSR for Wildcard Certificates
However, before a wildcard certificate is issued to you, like any other SSL certificate, you must generate a CSR. And, for that, you have to ensure that the format of the domain is correct. For example, to generate a CSR to secure the base domain and all its sub-domains, you need to enter the domain with * (asterisk).
Wildcard CSR Generation
- Common Name Wildcard: Your complete domain name
- Organization Name: Company’s legal name
- Organization Unit: Specific department of the company to which you belong
- Location of the company, which includes the state/province and country
- Root length: Generally, it’s 2048-bit
- Signature Algorithm: SHA-2
Steps to Generate a CSR for a Wildcard Certificate
- In webserver, go to the terminal client.
- Type: openssl req –new –newkey rsa:2048 –nodes –keyout server.key –out server.csr
- Enter the name of the domain along with the asterisk, as explained above.
- Enter all the required details of your company