How to Install SSL Certificate on Microsoft IIS 7
Steps to install SSL Certificate on Microsoft IIS 7
Before Installing SSL Certificate please ensure following processes have been completed
- Buy/renew SSL Certificate
- Generate CSR with SHA-2 algorithm
- Save the CSR & Private key file on your server
- Apply for SSL Certificate Issuance
- Submit SSL issuance Documents required by your certificate authority (For OV & EV SSL)
Step 1: Download and Extract Certificate Files
After completion of the SSL certificate issuance process, your certificate authority will send you an SSL certificate in a zip file via email including with server certificate, intermediate certificate, and root certificate. Download that zip file and extract all certificate files on your server directory where you wish to save all your SSL Certificate files.
Step 2: Add Snap-in in MMC (Microsoft Management Console)
- Press window key + R (Win + R) and then type MMC & press Enter.
- Click over File and select Add/Remove Snap-in.
- Now click on Add
- Here in Add Standalone Snap-in box select Certificates
- Press Add
- Now from the bullet list, select Computer Account & press Next
- Select Local Computer option & press Finish
- Now close Standalone Snap-in box and then in Add/Remove Snap-in click on
- Snap-in is now added in MMC.
Step 3: Install the
Intermediate & Root Certificate
- In MMC you can see the Intermediate Certification Authorities folder. Right-click on it and then move to All Tasks > Import.
- Certificate Import Wizard will
appear. Click on Next,
- In the next wizard, browse for the intermediate SSL Certificate File. Press Next.
- After completion of the next wizard, press Finish
- Intermediate Certificate is now installed in MMC
Step 4: Install SSL on IIS
After installing Intermediate and Root Certificate the next step is to install SSL on IIS 7.
- Open your IIS 7.
- Open Start > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Internet Services Manager.
- Click on Server Name.
- In the Security section tab double click on Server Certificates.
- Click on the Action menu
onthe right side of the window.
- Select the Complete Certificate Request option, Select Complete Certificate Request option, its wizard will
appearon the screen.
- Browse for your Certificate (.crt) file, and in friendly name enter the domain name & press OK button.
- Select the name of your server form the collection menu in IIS Manager.
- Select the site which you wish to secure.
- Click on Binding in the action menu.
- Click on Add in the Site Bindings window
- Add Binding Window will be appeared. Select HTTPS from the Type drop-down option.
- In IP address select the IP address of the website or leave it as “Add Unassigned”
- Port will be 443
- In SSL certificate field select the SSL certificate which you have installed previously
- Click on OK button & Restart IIS
- Your SSL/TLS Certificate is installed on IIS7.