Quick Guide to Install Email Certificate in Microsoft Outlook
Step-by-Step Instructions to Install Email Certificate in Microsoft Outlook
These dreadful cyber-attacks happen in various ways, and one of the most common ways used by cyber crooks is through email messages. Yes, several harmful spam messages are sent, which are very hard to detect.
So, it’s quite obvious how to combat such threats. How to stop being a victim of such online threats? Well, one sure way answer is to stay updated by reading articles, blogs, and news and have enough knowledge to identify and not click any unknown link you receive through emails, not to open emails sent from unknowns. But, there’s one more way as well, especially when you’re an organization that has to deal with several email messages daily—for example, having a secure email signing certificate installed (also called as an Outlook email encryption certificate or S/MIME certificate).
It can help your organization with the security features provided that prevent phishing while helping you build a trusted network within your organization, so the recipient of an email can get an acknowledgment that the email message is from a trusted source.
But, before we get into details, let’s understand what Email certificate is and why you must have one.
What’s Email Certificate & Reason to Have One
Moreover, if an email certificate used in Outlook, it also verifies your identification while encrypting the message you’re about to send. Also, the verified user will come across as trustworthy instead of someone who’s sending an email in plaintext.
As you know, what an email certificate is and why it’s so useful, let’s understand some of the vital things you’ll need before you start installing it.
Information Needed for Getting Your Email Certificate
Some of the information needed before starting the installation process of a new email certificate is:
1. Details of the Organization
2. Latest Version of Mozilla Firefox for Generating Email Certificate
Now, for generating your purchased email certificate, you’ll need to click on that given link, open it in Mozilla Firefox and then paste that received hash code into the text box. Once it’s done, your email certificate will be stored within your web browser.
3. Exporting Generated Email Certificate
- Once your email certificate is generated, it’ll be stored within your web browser.
- Now, you’ll have to export it.
- For that, go to Options, select Privacy and Security.
- Go to the Certificates tab and click on View Certificates option.
- From there, select your email certificate and click Backup All and then OK button.
- It’ll open a pop-up where you’ll be asked to provide the path where you want to save your email certificate.
Here’s How to Install Email Certificate on Outlook
Your list may differ from this, but steps will remain the same.
- Also, if you see the option More choices, like above, it simply means you’ve more than one certificate.
- For selecting a specific certificate, you’ve to click on that More choices option and select the one you want and then press OK.
- Once the above steps are completed, in the Trust Center window, under section Certificates and Algorithms, click on the Choose button of Signing Certificate field and load the certificate and then click the OK button for confirming the certificate window.
- Now, repeat for the field Encryption Certificate field. Also, if you’ve more than one certificate, this time, select the same email certificate that you selected in the previous step.
- Now, click OK button and once the Change Security Settings window is closed, keep the default option selected under the Encrypted email tab.
Steps to Sign Your Email Through Your Newly Installed Outlook Email Certificate
- Before you send an email, go to the Options tab and select the Sign option.
- If you want, you can also encrypt your email message by simply clicking on the Encrypt button and selecting the option Encrypt with S/MIME.
Once you complete the above steps, all your email messages will be sent in a secure and encrypted format.
However, if you don’t know how to install or how to sign your email, it’s suggested you go through this quick guide on how to install an email certificate and send your mails securely.