What is Code Signing Certificate?
A software signed with a Code Signing Certificate technology indicates the user that the software is a genuine software which has been verified by certificate authority and the software code has not been tempered or altered.
Key Reasons for Deploying Code Signing Certificate for Software Publisher’s
The reason to have Code Signing Certificates is to protect software script and code from potential alteration from 3rd party entities. Today, it is a necessary business practice for publishers to have secure software installed on their machines, and a Code Signing Certificate helps them gain the trust and confidence of the consumer. There are several reasons that a Code Signing Certificate is critical to have in the software before publicizing it.
See Also: Compare Code Signing Certificates
How to verify the Software is signed with Code Signing Certificate?
Once the Author signs his/her software with a code signing certificate, the digital signing technology creates a protected layer for the software code so that it cannot be tempered by hackers. When the user tries to download it, the web browser quickly verifies the software and allows the user to download it without any interruption or alert message.
When the user tries to download that signed software into his/her system. As shown in the image below, the OS shows a pop-up message which includes the software name, publisher website and software type.
Code Signing Certificate Features & Benefits
- Builds trust & confidence with the integrity of content
- Determines the identity of original software publisher
- Boosts number of Downloads
- Creates trustworthy image of the distributor
- Enhances software publisher’s reputation
- Compatible with all Windows OS
The List of Compatible Web Platforms with Code Signing Certificate
Microsoft® Authenticode® (Multi-Purpose)
- Digitally sign code for Microsoft® Office 2000, Microsoft VBA, Netscape Object Signing, and Marimba Channel Signing
- Digitally sign 32- and 64-bit user-mode (.exe, .cab, .dll, .ocx, .msi, .xpi and .xap files)
Microsoft® Office VBA
- Digitally sign VBA objects, scripts and macros for Microsoft Office .doc, .xls, and .ppt files
- For Microsoft Office and third-party applications using VBA
- Digitally sign .jar files and Java applications for desktop and mobile devices
- Recognized by Java Runtime Environment (JRE)
- Digitally sign Apple desktop applications
- Digitally sign .air or .airi files
- Required for all AIR-based applications
Comparison of Code Signing Certificate Providers
|Certificate Authority (CA)||COMODO™||THAWTE™||SYMANTEC™|
|SSL Certificate||Code Signing Certificate||Code Signing Certificate||Code Signing Certificate|
|Pricing for 1 Year||$85||$149||$439|
|Pricing for 2 Years||$74.38/Yr||$130/Yr||$384.13/Yr|
|As Low As||$70.83/Yr||$124.17||$365.83/Yr|
|Issuance Speed||1-3 business days||1-3 business days||1-3 business days|
|Validation Required||Business Validation||Business Validation||Business Validation|
|Supports Windows Authenticode Signing||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Supports Apple OS X Signing||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Supports Microsoft Office VBA Signing||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Supports Sun Java Signing||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Supports Adobe Air Signing||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Supports Windows Vista X64 Kernel Mode Signing||No||No||Yes|
|Refund Policy||30 Days||30 Days||30 Days|
|Certificate Authority Review||Read Reviews||Read Reviews||Read Reviews|
|Read More||Read More||Read More||Read More|
|Buy Now||Buy Now||Buy Now||Buy Now|