What is Code Signing Certificate?
A software signed with a Code Signing Certificate technology indicates the user that the software is a genuine software which has been verified by certificate authority and the software code has not been tempered or altered.
Key Reasons for Deploying Code Signing Certificate for Software Publisher’s
See Also: Compare Code Signing Certificates
How to verify the Software is signed with Code Signing Certificate?
When the user tries to download that signed software into his/her system. As shown in the image below, the OS shows a pop-up message which includes the software name, publisher website, and software type.
Code Signing Certificate Features & Benefits
- Builds trust & confidence with the integrity of content
- Determines the identity of original software publisher
- Boosts number of Downloads
- Creates trustworthy image of the distributor
- Enhances software publisher’s reputation
- Compatible with all Windows OS
Code Signing Certificate – List of Compatible Web Platforms
Microsoft® Authenticode® (Multi-Purpose)
- Digitally sign code for Microsoft® Office 2000, Microsoft VBA, Netscape Object Signing, and Marimba Channel Signing
- Digitally sign 32- and 64-bit user-mode (.exe, .cab, .dll, .ocx, .msi, .xpi and .xap files)
Microsoft® Office VBA
- Digitally sign VBA objects, scripts and macros for Microsoft Office .doc, .xls, and .ppt files
- For Microsoft Office and third-party applications using VBA
- Digitally sign .jar files and Java applications for desktop and mobile devices
- Recognized by Java Runtime Environment (JRE)
- Digitally sign Apple desktop applications
- Digitally sign .air or .airi files
- Required for all AIR-based applications
Comparison of Code Signing Certificate Providers
|Main Features||Comodo Code Signing Certificate||Sectigo Code Signing Certificate||DigiCert Code Signing Certificate|
|OV Code Signing||OV Code Signing||OV Code Signing|
|Business Validation||Business Validation||Business Validation|
|Your Company Name||Your Company Name||Your Company Name|
|256-Bit SHA-2||256-Bit SHA-2||256-Bit SHA-2|
|1-3 Days||1-3 Days||1-3 Days|