How to Install SSL Certificate in RedHat Linux Server – 3 Easy Steps
Steps to Install SSL Certificate in RedHat Linux Web Server
Before Installing SSL Certificate please ensure the following processes have been completed
- Buy/renew SSL Certificate
- Generate CSR with SHA-2 algorithm
- Save the CSR & Private key file on your server
- Apply for SSL Certificate Issuance
- Submit SSL Certificate issuance documents as per CA’s requirement (Only for Extended & Organization Validation)
- First, download and extract all certificate files, then install intermediate CA certificate and then Install Certificate file.
Step 1: Download & Extract Certificate files
Once you complete the checkout & Certificate issuance process, you will receive your SSL certificate via email in a zip file. Extract this *.zip file on your server directory where you wish to keep all your certificate files.
Step 2: Installation of Intermediate CA certificate
- Open the intermediate certificate file using any text editor; copy all the encrypted data into a new file and save the new file with crt name.
Note: you can give any name to intermediate certificate file, but the extension of this file must be .crt.
- Copy this file in to /etc/httpd/conf/ssl.crt/intermediatecert.crt
- Open your CNF file using any text editor via etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf location.
- Now using virtual host tag add following directive
- Your Intermediate Certificate is now installed.
Step 3: Install SSL Certificate File
- Open you certificate file with text editor and save it with new name as server-cert.crt
- Save your certificate file at following location /etc/httpd/conf/ssl.crt/server-cert.crt
- Following the same way add your server.key file at /etc/
Now in your httpd.cnf file, using virtual host tag add following directives.
SSLCertificateFile /etc/httpd/conf/ssl.crt/server.crt SSLCertificateKeyFile /etc/httpd/conf/ssl.key/server.key SSLCACertificateFile /etc/httpd/conf/ssl.crt/intermediate.crt (Don’t add, if it is already added.)
- Save your httpd.cnf file
- Restart your RedHat web server.
Finally SSL certificate is now installed on RedHat Linux Server.