Today, Google Chrome became the primary web browser in competition of other web browsers on various desktop and mobile devices. Google Team has always used to care about security of their user and privacy of their sensitive information; since the initiate moment of Google Chrome launch, It’s all about maximum security mechanism that held by Google developers, which ultimately caters safe and secure online environment and fear free experience to users. Google Chrome offers comprehensive compatibility, privacy, security, speed, low memory consumption, clear design, etc. to their valuable users.
In regular SSL practice, an encrypted website may face some serious security warnings and troubles in case of incorrect SSL certificate installation. And all this trouble are causes a scary Google Chrome SSL certificate errors. All these massive security warnings in browsers will impact on users experience in terms of security, hence its indeed process to get this all errors must be resolved to have secure HTTPS encryption in Google chrome. There are mainly two Types of SSL Certificate Errors are possible in Google Chrome, 1) SSL Errors due to user’s System and 2) SSL error due to improper installation.
Chrome SSL Errors and Troubleshoot Guides
Here’s we have elaborate SSL Certificate Errors in Chrome and tips to fix them.
1) System Time
When user’s clock is not set on current time Chrome will display an error as “Your connection is not private” or “NET::ERR_CERT_DATE_INVALID”, to fix this error you just need to update your date and time with the current time zone.
2) This webpage has a redirect loop
When a user tries to access a secured web page, due to overload in cookies, Google chrome will try to redirect that page many times and finally it will display an error as “This webpage has a redirect loop” or “ERR_TOO_MANY_REDIRECTS”. To fix this error you just need to delete all the cookies for that website.
How to Remove Website Cookies in Chrome?
- Click on Settings > Show Advanced Settings…
- Now in privacy section, click on Content Settings…
- Content setting popup will appear, in Cookies click on All Cookies and Site Data…
- In Search cookies, type the website for which you wish to remove cookies and then click on “Delete this Item” button to remove cookies.
3) Your Connection in Not Private
Google chrome will show this kind of error, because user system is not compatible with a website which user is trying to access. This error may indicate if the system is out dated, a few portion of the Operating system is not support the updated version of SSL Certificate’s encryption algorithm or the network connection is disabled.
Having an SSL certificate from the Certificate Authority (CA), which is not valid (self-signed), then Google Chrome will trigger an error; “NET::ERR_CERT_AUTHORITY_INVALID”; As per CA/B forum rule, the certificate authority must be the member of CA/B forum and its source will also be inside chrome as trusted CA. To solve this error, contact a website admin and ask him to get an SSL certificate from the trusted Certificate Authority and get it install.
To Fix Your connection is not private error
- Check your network connection, if it is not active then turn it active again. And try to access that website again.
- If there is conflict in cookie, this error may be displayed, better you clear all the cookies of that particular website (how to remove website cookies is displayed above) or else try to access that website in incognito mode (Ctrl + Shift + N).
- If you are using older version on Operating system, then you must update it.
- If any antivirus software is installed, you should turn it off as few antivirus blocks suspicious HTTPS traffic sometime.
4) Your Connection in Not Private, with NET::ERR_CERT_AUTHORITY_INVALID
If the certificate authority of that website’s SSL Certificate is not valid or the website is using self-signed SSL certificate, then chrome will display error as “NET::ERR_CERT_AUTHORITY_INVALID”; As per CA/B forum rule, the certificate authority must be the member of CA/B forum and its source will also be inside chrome as trusted CA.
To solve this error, contact the website administrator and ask him to install SSL of a valid Certificate Authority.
5) Your Connection in Not Private, with ERR_CERT_COMMON_NAME_INVALID
Google chrome display “ERR_CERT_COMMON_NAME_INVALID” error because of the common name user have entered is not matched with the actual common name of the SSL Certificate. For example, if a user tries to access www.google.com but the SSL certificate is for google.com then Chrome will display this error.
To get rid of this error, user should enter the correct common name.
6) “Server has a weak ephemeral Diffie-Hellman public key” or ERR_SSL_WEAK_EPHEMERAL_DH_KEY
Google Chrome displays this error as because the security code is outdated and user not allowed to access that website. To prevent risk of information and identity theft chrome blocks access of that website.
To fix this error, contact the website administrator and ask him to disable DHE codes and add support for ECDHE codes in server. If the ECDHE codes are not available, then he can go further with plain RSA.
7) “This webpage is not available” or ERR_SSL_VERSION_OR_CIPHER_MISMATCH
Chrome displays this errors if some security codes are missing and the website is running with outdated SHA algorithm or system’s TLS version is outdated.
To get rid of this error, contact the website administrator and ask him to reinstall SSL certificate on server with the updated version of SHA algorithm as SHA-2. The user also need to access website with highest version of TLS as TLS 1.2.
8) Expired SSL Certificate
In case, if your website got an SSL certificate, which might expire then Google Chrome will show an error and certainly, it will block all kind of access. It’s matter of rapid action that you need to take. Contact website admin to renewal or new purchase of an SSL certificate and get it reinstall.
9) SSL Not installed correctly
An SSL Certificate must be installed correctly to access website properly without any error, if there is some SSL installation problem, chrome will display error. Always Prefer perfect SSL installation guides to install SSL certificate properly on server – https://aboutssl.org/how-to-install.