Steps to install SSL on Microsoft Exchange Server 2007
Make sure following processes were completed before you start SSL certificate installation.
- Buy/renew SSL Certificate
- Generate CSR with SHA-2 algorithm
- Save the CSR & Private key file on your server
- Apply for SSL Certificate Issuance
- Submit SSL issuance Documents required by your certificate authority (For OV & EV SSL)
Step 1: Save the Certificate Files
Your SSL Certificate files will be sent by email via your CA (Certificate Authority), download Certificate files and save it on your server directory.
Note: First you need to install Intermediate SSL certificate and then you have to install SSL certificate.
Step 2: Add Snap-ins in MMC
- Click on Start Menu, Search for MMC & press Enter.
- In Console Room dialog, click on File and then click Add/Remove Snap-ins
- In Add/Remove Snap-ins dialog, from available snap-ins select Certificates & click on Add >.
- If it asks to select user account, then select Computer Account or a specific user account.
- Click on Next
- Select Local computer & press Finish
- Now press OK & move to Console
Step 3: Install Intermediate Certificate
- Expand the Certificates form Console.
- Form the list of folders, right click on Intermediate Certificate Authorities,
- Hover move over All Tasks, then click on Import…
- Press Next
- Browse for the Intermediate Certificate file
- Press Next
- Select ‘Place all certificates in the following store’, click on Browse, select Intermediate Certificate Authorities and press OK.
- Press Next button
- Completing wizard will be displayed, review your Certificate information and press Finish.
- You will be prompted as “The import was Successful”.
- Save your Console and exit from MMC.
- Intermediate Certificate is now installed.
Step 4: Install SSL Certificate
- Open your Microsoft Exchange Server 2007 GUI.
- Click on Exchange Management Shell
- Now to import SSL certificate, enter following code
Import-ExchangeCertificate -Path C:\your_certificate.crt
Note: your_certificate.crt is your SSL certificate file, you have to enter the actual location of your certificate file as Path.
- To enable the SSL certificate, enter following code
Enable-ExchangeCertificate -Thumbprint paste_thumbprint_here -Services "SMTP, IMAP, IIS"
- Now close the Exchange Management Shell.
Your SSL Certificate is now installed on Microsoft Exchange Server 2007