How to Install SSL Certificate on Microsoft Exchange Server 2013
Steps to install SSL on Microsoft Exchange Server 2013
Following processes must be completed before you start the SSL certificate installation process.
- Buy/renew SSL Certificate
- Generate CSR with SHA-2 algorithm
- Save the CSR & Private key file on your server
- Apply for SSL Certificate Issuance
- Submit SSL issuance Documents required by your certificate authority (For OV & EV SSL)
Step 1: Download Certificate Files
After approving SSL Certificate verification documents, your SSL certificate authority will send your SSL Certificate via email. Download SSL certificate files and store it on your exchange where you have saved your CSR & private key file.
Step 2: Add Snap-in MMC
- Open MMC (Microsoft Management Console) by entering MMC in Start Menu
- Here, first click on File & then Add/Remove Snap-ins
- Now select Certificates and press Add button
- Select a user account and click Next
- Fist select Local Computer & the click Finish
- In Console Root, expand Certificates
- Right click on Intermediate Certificate Authorities, hover mouse on All Tasks & click on Import…
- Click Next; then press Browse
- Find the location of your Intermediate Certificate file and then press Next button.
- Now select Place all certificates in the following store, click Browse, select Intermediate Certificate Authorities and click Next
- Now ensure the Intermediate Certificate details & press Next
- A message will be popup as The import was Successful
- Click on OK & exit form MMC
Intermediate Certificate is now installed.
Step 3: Install SSL Certificate
- Open your Exchange Server Admin Center.
- Now login by entering correct username and password & click on sign in.
- First click on Servers in the left panel and then click on Certificates in the top right panel.
- From the list of SSL certificate, select a certificate which you wish to use to secure your domain.
- Now in the bottom right corner panel, click on Complete.
- In the text box, locate the path of your SSL certificate (E.G \\Server2013\Certificates\my_certificate.crt).
- Click on OK
SSL certificate is now installed on Exchange Server.
Step 4: Enable SSL Certificate for use.
- Move back to Certificates list, by click on Servers > Certificates.
- Highlight the certificate which you wish to use
- Now click on Edit button & then click on Services.
- From the list of services options, select services for which you wish to use the SSL.
- Click on save
SSL certificate is now ready to use.