Steps to Install SSL on Microsoft IIS 5 & 6
Please check the below checklist before you start the SSL installation
- Buy/renew SSL Certificate
- Generate CSR with SHA-2 algorithm
- Save the CSR & Private key file on your server
- Apply for SSL Certificate Issuance
- Submit SSL issuance Documents required by your certificate authority (For OV & EV SSL)
Step 1: Download and Extract Certificate Files
You certificate authority will send your SSL certificate files (Primary Certificate, Intermediate Certificate & Root Certificate) via email; you need to download that files and save if on your server directory.
Step 2: Installation of Intermediate Certificate
- Click on start menu and visit Run or press windows + R from your keyboard
- Now type MMC and press Enter button
- No in MMC (Microsoft Management Console), click on ‘Add/Remove Snap-in…’ form File menu and then click over Add.
- Select Certificates & click Add button, then click on Close
- Now press OK to close the Add/Remove Snap-in… dialogue.
- In the certificates option click on + to expand it.
- Right click on Intermediate Certification Authorities, move your mouse to All Tasks and click on
- Click on Next then click on Browse, find your intermediate certificate file and then press Next
- Select Place all certificates in the following store option and click Browse.
- Select Intermediate Certification Authorities and press OK.
- Now press Next
- Certificate information will be displayed, please verify all details; if something went wrong please go back.
- An alert will be displayed as The Import Was Successful.
- Now Exit from the Console
Step 3: Installation of Primary Certificate
- Click on Start > Administrative Tools > Internet Information Services (IIS) Manager.
- Press the + button from Web sites
- Now right click over your website name and click on the Properties
- Default Web Site Properties window will be appears, click over Directory Security
- Now click over Server Certificates & press Next
- In the IIS Certificate Wizard box select Process the pending request and install the certificate & click over Next
- Now click over Browse, find the location of your primary certificate and press OK.
- Press Next
- Enter the port number & click Next
- Certificate summery will be display, verify it; if something went wrong start this process again or go back.
- Click on Finish.
Microsoft IIS 5 and IIS 6 SSL Installation is completed. Restart your server now.