Steps to install SSL on Microsoft IIS 8
Before you start the SSL Certificate installation, please verify following processes are completed or not
- Buy/renew SSL Certificate
- Generate CSR with SHA-2
- Store the CSR & Private key file on your server
- Apply for SSL Certificate Issuance
- Submit SSL issuance Documents required by your certificate authority (For OV & EV SSL)
Step 1: Download and Extract Certificate Files
One you completed the SSL certificate issuance process, certificate authority will send you SSL certificate in a zip file via email including with server certificate, intermediate certificate and root certificate. Download that zip file and extract all certificate files on your server directory where you wish to save all your SSL Certificate files.
Step 2: Add Certificate Snap-in in MMC (Microsoft Management Console)
- From Start Menu click on Run, type MMC & press enter.
- Click File & select Add/Remove Snap-in.
- Click on Add button
- Add Standalone Snap-in box select Certificates
- Click Add button
- From the list of Snap-In, select Computer Account & press Next
- Select Local Computer option & press Finish
- Now close Standalone Snap-in box and then in Add/Remove Snap-in click on
- Certificate Snap-in is now added in MMC.
Step 3: Import Intermediate SSL Certificate
- In your MMC console right click on Intermediate Certification Authorities folder, and then go to All Tasks > Import.
- Certificate Import Wizard will be appear , click on Next button,
- Browse your Intermediate SSL Certificate file location and press Next button.
- Press the Next button again.
- Certificate import wizard is completed and certificate information will be displayed, verify is and if it is correct then press the Finish
- An alert will be display as ‘The Import was successful’
Generally root certificate will be pre-installed in windows, if you don’t find root certificate then you need to follow step 3 to install it.
Step 4: Install SSL certificate on IIS 8
After installing Intermediate and Root Certificate the next step is to install SSL on IIS 8.
- Open IIS 8 Server Manager
- Open (IIS) Internet Information Services Manager form Tools
- Now select your server name from Connections panel in left.
- Double click on Server Certificates icon in middle panel.
- Click over ‘Complete Certificate Request…’ from the Action panel in right.
- Complete Certificate Request window will open, complete the below steps
- Browse for the SSL certificate file name
- Add a Friendly Name
- Select Personal as certificate store & press OK
- Now from the Connection panel in left, select the server name for which the certificate was installed.
- Expand the Sites folder & select the site name which you wish to secure this SSL certificate.
- Click on Bindings from the Action panel in the right.
- Press the Add button & enter following details
- Type: Select HTTPS
- IP Address: Select All Unassigned
- Port: Enter 443
- SSL Certificate: Select the SSL which you have recently installed
- Press OK button & click on Close.
- Click on Restart under Manage Website.
Your SSL Certificate is now installed on Microsoft IIS 8 & IIS 8.5.