Tips to Install SSL Certificate on Microsoft IIS 8 & 8.5
Steps to install SSL on Microsoft IIS 8
Before you start the SSL Certificate installation, please verify following processes are completed or not
- Buy/renew SSL Certificate
- Generate CSR with SHA-2
- Store the CSR & Private key file on your server
- Apply for SSL Certificate Issuance
- Submit SSL issuance Documents required by your certificate authority (For OV & EV SSL)
Step 1: Download and Extract Certificate Files
Once you completed the SSL certificate issuance process, certificate authority will send you SSL certificate in a zip file via email including server certificate, intermediate certificate
Step 2: Add Certificate Snap-in in MMC (Microsoft Management Console)
- From Start Menu click on Run, type MMC & press enter.
- Click File & select Add/Remove Snap-in.
- Click on Add button
- Add Standalone Snap-in box select Certificates
- Click Add button
- From the list of Snap-In, select Computer Account & press Next
- Select Local Computer option & press Finish
- Now close Standalone Snap-in box and then in Add/Remove Snap-in click on
- Certificate Snap-in is now added in MMC.
Step 3: Import Intermediate SSL Certificate
- In your MMC console right click on Intermediate Certification Authorities folder, and then go to All Tasks > Import.
- Certificate Import Wizard will appear, click on Next button,
- Browse your Intermediate SSL Certificate file location and press Next button.
- Press the Next button again.
- Certificate import wizard is completed and certificate information will be displayed, verify and if it is correct then press the Finish
- An alert will be displayed as ‘The Import was successful’
Generally, root certificate will be pre-installed in windows, if you don’t find root certificate then you need to follow step 3 to install it.
Step 4: Install SSL certificate on IIS 8
After installing Intermediate and Root Certificate the next step is to install SSL on IIS 8.
- Open IIS 8 Server Manager
- Open (IIS) Internet Information Services Manager from Tools
- Now select your server name from Connections panel in left.
- Double click on Server Certificates icon in
- Click over ‘Complete Certificate Request…’ from the Action panel in right.
- Complete Certificate Request window will open, complete the below steps
- Browse for the SSL certificate file name
- Add a Friendly Name
- Select Personal as certificate store & press OK
- Now from the Connection panel in left, select the server name for which the certificate was installed.
- Expand the Sites folder & select the site name which you wish to secure this SSL certificate.
- Click on Bindings from the Action panel in the right.
- Press the Add button & enter following details
- Type: Select HTTPS
- IP Address: Select All Unassigned
- Port: Enter 443
- SSL Certificate: Select the SSL which you have recently installed
- Press OK button & click on Close.
- Click on Restart under Manage Website.
Your SSL Certificate is now installed on Microsoft IIS 8 & IIS 8.5.