Every day hackers are finding multiple ways to hack a website and breach its user’s sensitive information. As per a survey website, web experts found Small Ecommerce Business are hacker’s main target since past two years. The reason behind these attacks are lack of security mechanism in website and server both.
Study shows, generally all small businesses are avoid spending more amount of money on security of their website and server which opens door for hackers and they easily hack user’s information. If a small business really cares about security of their user’s private data, then they must need to adopt a strong security mechanism like SSL Certificate.
SSL certificates are aimed to secure the communication between web browser (Client) and server, which means during data transmission everything remains encrypted and secured and it will no longer allowed to access by any one. An SSL certificate contains strong Cryptographic Algorithm which is made up of hash function which secure website and encrypt everything.
Small e-commerce business collects user’s personal information such as email address, physical location, login credentials, phone number etc. and during payment process it collects user’s financial information (debit/credit card or net-banking details), this all information must remain safe during information exchange between browser & server and SSL certificate is the only option available which lets admin to encrypt everything into his website.
A website which starts with HTTPS:// is called as secured or SSL enabled website.
Why SSL Certificate for Small Business?
Offers High Security Environment – an SSL certificate encrypts website with its 2048-bit strong signature and 256-bit longer encryption key length. This combination of signature and encryption key is very much harder for cyber attackers to break.
Indicators to Boost up Business Sales – There are some SSL certificate indicators such as a Green address bar, organization name in URL, website seal and HTTPS:// in URL. These all SSL certificate indicators ensure user’s that a website is safe and encrypted using a trusted SSL Certificate Authority, the business is genuine & legitimate and there will be no harm to share financial and personal information with it.
Increases Business Sale and conversation rate – Adopting an SSL certificate helps small business owners to earn more money by increasing the conversation rate and it also helps to boost up business reputation over internet.
Ranking Boost in Google – Recently google announced to hike ranking in SERP for the website who have adopted an SSL Certificate for user’s security, which means if a small business installs an SSL certificate into its sever, Google will help it to increase ranking and to build a lead position in search engine.
Note: Google is not considering Self-sign SSL certificate as ranking signal – https://aboutssl.org/google-flagged-self-sign-certificate-from-https-ranking-signal
SSL Certificate Types & Description
Generally, an SSL certificate classified into three major categories as Domain validation, Organization/Business Validation and Extended Validation.
Here, Domain validated SSL certificate is used to secure website which collects less amount of user’s information or else no financial information is being collected. It only displays https:// with URL.
Organization validated SSL certificate is used to secure those websites which asks user to add financial and other sensitive information for business transactions. It display business information in Certificate details and also in site seal.
Extended Validation SSL certificate is delivering industry’s highest level of encryption and trust; E-commerce, banking, social media, government, etc. related websites are using it. It displays green address bar along with organization name in URL.
Which SSL a Small Business Requires?
A small business which collects user’s personal information as well as financial and sensitive information for online transactions, an Organization validated SSL Certificate runs best. An OV SSL certificate indicates that business is legitimate and they care for user’s security. 2048-bit active signature and 256-bit long length encryption key offers a higher layer of security and trust.
Before you go to buy SSL Certificate for your business please take a note on following mandatory factors as
- Certificate Price – price of SSL Certificate always important for a small business, compare various certificate authority SSL certificate based on prices and choose the one which fits in your budget. You can compare SSL certificate baes on types and price via here – https://aboutssl.org/compare-ssl-by-types.
- Certificate authority – Selection of certificate authority plays a crucial role is success of a small or medium business. Make sure CA must come up with a trusted website seal and it must contain website and business details. If the CA is recognized by the customers they will definitely do business with you, but if they get confused to recognize, they will surely not to business. So first review each SSL certificate authority, compare them and take a decision which one is suits best for your business website. To review SSL Certificate authority visit here – https://aboutssl.org/compare-ssl-by-types.
- Encryption Type – Today 256-bit or SHA-2 in considered as preferred encryption length for SSL certificate which is acceptable by all leading browsers, operating systems and devices. SHA-1 and 128-bit encryption is yesterday’s news so make sure you go with 256-bit or SHA-2 while generating CSR (Certificate Signing Request).
- Document requirement – To validate business, certificate authority will ask to submit various legal business documents, first check which documents certificate is asking for an after that make decision which certificate authority will suit best.
There are lots of OV SSL Certificate vendors available which offers it at affordable price. Here’s the list of cheap organization validated SSL certificate vendors, take a look – https://aboutssl.org/what-is-business-or-organization-validated-ssl-certificate
Resources to Learn
- Small Business and SSL Certificate – Report by Thawte
- The World’s Top 8 Cheap SSL Certificate Providers 2016
- Who is the Best Provider of Multi-Domain SSL Certificate?
- How EV SSL Different from other SSLs?