What is Domain Validated SSL Certificate?
Process of Domain Validated SSL Certificates
The validation process for the domain validated (DV) certificate is pretty simple. Here, the user only needs to prove the domain ownership to the certificate authority (CA). SSL certificate authority can ask for email verification, file bases verification, or can check website’s web registrar’s information to validate the domain.
- Email Verification – The certificate authority will send you an email on your email address with a confirmation link. You should open that email and click on that link by which the CA verifies your domain ownership.Make sure that the email address you have provided starts with admin, administrator, postmaster, hostmaster, webmaster. For example,
- File based Verification – In this verification process, the certificate authority will provide an HTML file (also known as Authentication file or Auth file) along with Hash data. Now upload that file on your server’s root directory. Once CA finds that correct file on your server, the certificate will be issued.
- Domain Registrar’s information – CA will directly verify the domain ownership via Domain Registrar’s information. Make sure that you have kept domain registrar’s information public. CA will reject the issuance request if they find domain registrar’s information to be private.
Who should buy Domain Validated (DV) SSL?
Small or medium level website owners who only wish to encrypt their domain should buy DV SSL certificate. Compared with organization validated (OV) & extended validated(EV) SSL certificate, the price of domain validated (DV) certificate is much lower.
Domain validation SSL certificates come up with alternative options such as ‘Wildcard SSL certificate’ and ‘Multi-domain certificate’. The wildcard SSL Certificate lets user secure the unlimited number of sub-domains whereas a Multi-domain (SAN) SSL certificate will allow the user to secure up to 100 multiple fully qualified domain names.
Why should you buy Domain Validation (DV) Certificate?
- Lower Price – The prices of the domain validated (DV) certificates are on the lower side compared to the organization validated (OV) & extended validated (EV) certificates.
- Issued within minutes – Certificate Authority Issues domain validated (DV) SSL certificates within minutes once the domain verification process is done.
- No paperwork for validation – Certificate Authority does not ask for any documents during domain name verification process.
- Google Ranking Benefits – Google recently announced to give ranking benefits to the SSL enabled websites. So, a DV SSL will help you increase your website traffic which can definitely give a boost to your business.
- Increases user’s trust – HTTPS and website seal are trust indicators which let the users know that the website is secured and their information is safe.
Where to Buy Domain Validated DV SSL Certificate?
A Domain Validated SSL certificate providers including the Certificate Authority such as Comodo, RapidSSL, Thawte, GeoTrust and GoDaddy offering domain validated (DV) SSL certificates at low cost. A user who wishes to secure his/her website can either go directly to CAs website or they can buy from SSL resellers available. You can find the low cost ssl certificate from the SSL resellers as they offer a cheap domain validated SSL certificates compared to the CAs.
Domain Validated SSL Key Features:
- 2048-bit SSL Certificate signature
- Robust encryption strength up to 256-bit
- Can secure both www and non-www domains
- Compatible with 99.9% of the web and mobile browsers
- Free certificate authority (CA) site seal
- Issuance within minutes
- No paperwork or documentation required for validation
- Free phishing detection alert service (Only offered by few certificate authorities)
- Can be reissued as many times as needed during the validity period
- Alternative options such as Wildcard and Multi-Domain features
Compare Domain Validated Certificate from Top SSL Brands
|Certificate Authority (CA)||COMODO||RAPIDSSL||COMODO||THAWTE||GEOTRUST|
|SSL Certificate||Positive SSL||RapidSSL||Essential SSL||SSL123||QuickSSL Premium|
|Price – As Low AS||$7.82/Year||$14.95/Year||$24.5/Year||$47/Year||$68.50/Year|
|Pricing For 1 Year||$8.95||$17.95||$28||$54||$79|
|Additional Discount||Get 10% Off||Get 10% Off||Get 10% Off||Get 10% Off||Get 10% Off|
|Domains Secured||Single Domain Name (FQDN)||Single Domain Name (FQDN)||Single Domain Name (FQDN)||Single Domain Name (FQDN)||Single Domain Name (FQDN)|
|Issuance Speed||Within a few minutes||Within a few minutes||Within a few minutes||Within a few minutes||Within a few minutes|
|Validation Required||Domain Validation||Domain Validation||Domain Validation||Domain Validation||Domain Validation|
|Notification Level in Web Browsers||Domain Name Shown On Certificate Only||Domain Name Shown On Certificate Only||Domain Name Shown On Certificate Only||Domain Name Shown On Certificate Only||Domain Name Shown On Certificate Only|
|Encryption Strength||Up to 256 Bit||Up to 256 Bit||Up to 256 Bit||Up to 256 Bit||Up to 256 Bit|
|Browsers Compatibility||99% Web and Mobile Browser||99% Web and Mobile Browser||99% Web and Mobile Browser||99% Web and Mobile Browser||99% Web and Mobile Browser|
|Include Site Seal||Included||Included||Included||Included||Included|
|Number of Free Reissues Allowed||Unlimited||Unlimited||Unlimited||Unlimited||Unlimited|
|Number of Server License||Unlimited||Unlimited||Unlimited||Unlimited||Unlimited|
|Green Address Bar||No||No||No||No||No|
|Refund Policy||30 Days||30 Days||30 Days||30 Days||30 Days|
|Certificate Authority Review||Read Reviews||Read Reviews||Read Reviews||Read Reviews||Read Reviews|
|Read More||Read More||Read More||Read More||Read More||Read More|
|Buy Now||Buy Now||Buy Now||Buy Now||Buy Now||Buy Now|