Chrome is the most trustworthy web browser worldwide and it always take care about security of its users, if it finds any single bug on website, server, system etc. it will display error to users and indicates they are not safe and alert them to find the solution.
There are many possibilities chrome is displaying SSL Connection Error – ERR_SSL_PROTOCOL_ERROR, there might be problem with System, website or server, let’s take a deeps look about this error and troubleshoot tips.
Reasons behind ERR_SSL_PROTOCOL_ERROR
- Invalid System Time
- Firewall is Blocking website or IP address
- Website is blacklisted in Host File
- Browser Extension blocking website
- Cookies and Cache not cleared since many days/weeks.
Tips to Solve “SSL Connection Error-ERR_SSL_PROTOCOL_ERROR”
Here’s the tips how to solve SSL Certificate error like “SSL Connection Error-ERR_SSL_PROTOCOL_ERROR” in Google Chrome, if one does not work then you should try other solution to eliminate this error. If none of our solution work to solve your error, then you should contact the website administrator.
1) Disable QUIC Protocol
Disabling QUIC protocol will remove this error permanently form Chrome, here’s how you can do it
- In your chrome browser URL, type chrome://flags/#enable-quic and hit enter button
- You will find Experimental QUIC protocol will be active with Default option,
- Now from the drop-down list, select Disabled,
- Now in the bottom or the page, click on RELAUNCH NOW
By relaunching Chrome, there will be no such errors.
2) Remove or Modify Host file
If there are some bad programs or the website you searching for is already added in Host file of your system, chrome will display that error.
- Press Windows + R and add C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc & hit enter button
- You will find the Host file, delete it
- Open it with text editor, Remove the website which your website & IP address searching for (if it is inside Host file)
- Save it and surf that website again, there will be no error.
3) Clear SSL State
If the SSL state is not cleared, it may block the SSL connection and causes the SSL Connection Error, check how to clear the SSL state.
- Click on Start Menu > Control Panel > Network and Internet > Network and Sharing Center
- Now click on Internet Options from the bottom-left corner
- A new dialog will appear called as Internet Properties.
- Now move to Content option,
- Here click on Clear SSL State
- An Alert will appear as “The SSL cache was successfully cleared”
- Click on OK button, and take exit form Internet Properties by clicking on OK.
Now surf that website again, there will be no Error.
4) Update the System Time
If the system time is running behind with current time, chrome puts that error message, better you update your system time with current time.
5) Check Firewall
If the website or its IP address was blocked by firewall, chrome will display the error. Check your firewall settings and if you find that website/IP address, quickly remove form it.
6) Remove or Disable Extension
Study shows, sometimes the extensions become reasons for blocking a website so Google Chrome displays the error. Remove non-used or unwanted Extension from Google Chrome or else disable them.
To view all Chrome Extension, type chrome://extensions/ in URL bar.
7) Clear Cache and Cookies
By clearing cache and cookies you can fix chrome ERR_SSL_PROTOCOL_ERROR, in chrome type Ctrl + Shift + Delete and delete your cache and cookies.
These are the possible solution to fix ERR_SSL_PROTOCOL_ERROR in google chrome, if chrome is still displaying this error then you must need to contact the website owner.World’s Top 15 Cheap SSL Certificate Providers 2016